The EOS Group’s Board of Directors
Committed to the company’s well-being
The six members of the EOS Board of Directors steer the sustainable and successful development of the EOS Group. The Group’s business units are divided into the Finance business unit and the Germany, Eastern Europe, Western Europe and USA regions. You can find out more about the board members in their short CVs and profiles.
‘If you are not ready, you are too late’
To grasp opportunities whenever they arise: this is the credo by which Klaus Engberding, Chairman of the EOS Group’s Board of Directors, lives his life. The desire to take advantage of business opportunities is what drives him forward. This is how Mr Engberding has given the EOS debt purchase segment in eastern Europe its professional edge over the past few years and how he has motivated the Group to achieve greater open-mindedness, versatility and teamwork in bringing about internal cultural change.
Apropos of the latter, Klaus Engberding is a team player who focuses on motivation and respect. In honour of the EOS brand’s tenth anniversary, he decided to end the year with a party for around 1350 German colleagues. An unusual and very special highlight of the event was a musical about EOS that was written and performed by the employees themselves. Even Mr Engberding, otherwise such a composed senior manager, was moved by the performance: ‘It is the potential in each and every one of us and what we can achieve as a team that fascinates and inspires me anew every day.’
Klaus Engberding: CV at a glance
- 1987–1992: Studied Business Administration at the University of Münster
- 1992–1996: Consultant at Hüsch & Partner Unternehmensberatung
- 1996–2000: In-house consultant for the Tengelmann Group
- 2000–2006: Managing Director of OBI@OTTO
- 2006–2007: Managing Director of EOS International
- 2007–2009: Member of the EOS Group’s Board of Directors, responsible for Eastern Europe
- 2009–2016: Member of the EOS Group’s Board of Directors with responsibility for the German market
- Since November 2016: Chairman of the EOS Group's Board of Directors
Justus Hecking-Veltman is the man who handles number crunching in the EOS Group. His remit includes risk control, and therefore decisions on whether and how the Group is going to invest in its markets. Over the last few years he has built up the structures which are necessary to purchase receivables in, for example, Austria, Romania, France and Russia.
This is done through dedicated teams that facilitate company acquisitions and debt purchase. ‘There are good people working at EOS and they deliver good results,’ says Hecking-Veltman. And the CFO can prove it: over the last four years, EOS has more than doubled all of its important indicators.
Hecking-Veltman is a business management graduate, after all, and when it comes to the quality of analytical services, processes and results, he and his team are well-known for their high standards. Since 2005 EOS Holding has continuously received an A rating from the rating agency Euler Hermes. For Hecking-Veltman, this is objective proof of professionalism and a good corporate structure. It is also an excellent recommendation to clients.
But there’s more to it than just results. Hecking-Veltman very much enjoys the day-by-day challenge of tackling new tasks with a motivated team. He is particularly keen to maintain reliability, fairness and a good working atmosphere.
Justus Hecking-Veltman: CV at a glance
- 1989–1993: Studied business administration at the University of Münster
- 1994–1998: Investment controller at Otto GmbH & Co KG
- 1998–2001: Head of Corporate Controlling at Otto GmbH & Co KG
- 2001–2004: Director of Business Administration at Otto GmbH & Co KG
- 2004–2007: Director of Controlling and Accounting at Otto GmbH & Co KG
- Since March 2007: Member of the Board of Directors at EOS Holding GmbH, Head of the Finance business unit and responsible for IT
Andreas Kropp: CV at a glance
- 1992 - 1995: Business management studies at the Fachhochschule (university of applied sciences)
- 1995 - 1996: Assistant to the Commercial Manager, Hoffmann und Campe Verlag
- 1997 - 1999: Head of Controlling/EDP/Administration, Hoffmann und Campe Verlag
- 1999 - 2003: Commercial Manager, RWS Verlag
- 2003 - 2007: Commercial Manager OBI@OTTO
- 2007 - 2009: Head of Division Management Eastern Europe, EOS Holding
- 2009 - 2016: Commercial Manager EOS Deutschland
- Since November 2016: Member of the Board of Directors at EOS Holding GmbH, responsible for the German market
Marwin Ramcke - CV at a glance
- Studied Business Management at FOM University of Applied Sciences for Economics and Management
- 1998-1999: Buyer at a medium-sized Company
- 1999-2001: Military service at the German Navy
- 2001-2007: OBI@OTTO/Baumarkt Direkt: in various positions; last position Head of Finance and Business Administration
- 2007-2009: Senior Consultant Division Management Eastern Europe, EOS Holding
- 2009-2016: Head of Division Management Eastern Europe, EOS Holding
- 2010-2016: Managing Director EOS International Beteiligungs-Verwaltungsgesellschaft
- Since January 2017: Member of the Board of Directors at EOS Holding GmbH, responsible for the region Eastern Europe
‘Leadership is enthusiasm about the task at hand – support for sharing successes together’
Hans-Werner Scherer, member of the EOS Group’s Board of Directors, sees consistent leadership as the key to growth and success. Aged 61, he has been a faithful member of the Company for over 30 years. Having served in a wide range of functions, his knowledge of EOS is almost unparalleled. He knows that it’s the people who make the difference. What makes EOS so successful is its employees and everyone who works in partnership with the Group. The question of leadership is therefore particularly important to him: ‘There’s a fundamental difference between leading and managing,’ he says. ‘Leadership means taking an interest not only in deliverables but also in the people who bring about the success. Good leadership is a matter of inspiring people, of pursuing shared goals and of moving forward.’
Hans-Werner Scherer has made a major contribution to the international expansion of the Group. He and his decisions are trusted by clients, business associates and employees in over 20 countries. Mr Scherer is very much aware of the responsibility that goes with this trust. ‘Trust should never be taken for granted,’ he says, ‘It takes years to achieve, but can be lost in a matter of seconds.’ All employees, colleagues and Hans-Werner Scherer himself have to gain this trust anew every day.
The level of trust towards Mr Scherer and his policies was reflected very clearly at a particular moment at the Group’s headquarters in Hamburg in January 2010 – a moment that Scherer will never forget. He was surprised with a gift presented by the EOS Group employees on the occasion of the Company’s 25th anniversary: a painting of a sailing boat bearing several hundred signatures to congratulate the Captain of the ship.
Hans-Werner Scherer: CV at a glance
- 1973: Abitur (German university entrance qualification)
- 1977: Diploma in Economics and Organizational Sciences
- 1973–1985: Career in the German armed forces
- 1985–1998: Manager of Deutscher Inkasso-Dienst, (internal management responsibilities in IT and debt collection processing; mergers and acquisitions, marketing and sales)
- 1998–2003: Spokesman for the management of Deutscher Inkasso-Dienst; initiated the strategic orientation of today’s EOS Group, spearheaded the international expansion of the Group
- 2003-2016: Chairman of the Board of Directors of EOS Holding GmbH
- Since November 2016: Managing Director of the EOS Holding GmbH
- Hans-Werner Scherer is a member of the Workers’ Samaritan Federation, the German Maritime Search and Rescue Service and the Hamburg Sailing Club.
‘With focus and understanding’
All managers would like to see their employees identifying with the company. Dr Andreas Witzig, member of the EOS Group’s Board of Directors with responsibility for the region Western Europe, leads by example. He has personally taken on board the company’s brand promise: ‘With focus and understanding’.
Drawing on his PhD in Law, he is systematically opening up new markets in Belgium, Spain and France. In doing so, he enjoys the freedom to be creative and is purposefully pressing ahead with the development of Western European markets at a speed that keeps his team on their toes.
In his capacity as a manager he is clearly people-focused. Dr Witzig maintains close contact with his staff while treating each individual with politeness and respect. This has earned him a broad basis of approval. His immediate environment is marked by an atmosphere of trust that genuinely fosters team spirit, motivation and commitment. Whenever EOS throws a party, Dr Witzig is relaxed and at ease, exchanging his suit for denims and a T-shirt. So he also enjoys socializing and having a good time.
Dr Andreas Witzig: CV at a glance
- 1987–1991: Studied Law in Constance (Germany), Surrey (UK) and Kiel (Germany)
- 1991–1993: PhD in Law
- 1992–1994: Second degree in Public Administration from Harvard University in Boston
- 1996–1998: Legal trainee
- 1994–2003: Management consultant at McKinsey & Company
- 2003–2006: Head of Internal Management Consultancy at the Otto Group
- Since 2007: Member of the Board of Directors at EOS Holding GmbH, with responsibility for Western Europe